AVCHD is short for "Advanced Video Coding High Definition", which is a type of high definition camcorder video format jointly developed by Panasonic and Sony for use in consumer camcorders. Although they are more widely known as AVCHD videos, these files are actually stored with the "M2TS(MTS)" file extension. Many portable media players(PMP), video editing program and online video sharing website are not able to accept M2TS files, so if you want to upload/play AVCHD videos onto YouTube, iPad 2, iPod, Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Tab(2), Playbook or other media player and mobile phones, or edit an AVCHD file on windows movie maker, you may need to convert the AVCHD file type first by using an AVCHD(mts/m2ts) Video Converter.
I looked at two programs that convert AVCHD video to standard video formats such as avi(divx/xvid), mp4, mpeg, wmv, flv, mov, mkv…etc. for Windows. One is a free open-source program called Koyote Free HD Converter, the other is a shareware program called Pavtube HD Video Converter which can convert AVCHD video into different format. It works great on Windows, and guarantee audio and video in sync/3X faster with CUDA acceleration.
Koyote Free HD Converter
Free HD Converter is a freeware designed to convert all your MTS and M2TS files coming from your HD camcorders as Canon or Sony. You will be able to convert to AVI, MPEG2, DVD format, Ipod, Mp4, Wmv. Very fast conversion and completely free to use.
It also has lots of drawbacks:
* input and output limit (It doesn't accept other HD format Mod/TP/TRP/MKV and only supports 6 output format);
* Cannot downmix or otherwise specify output sample rate of audio stream, only bitrate;
* Doesn't always work, and cannot handle conversion to other aspect ratios;
* You can't see the new file size when setting up the converting parameters;
* You are forced to install a browser tool bar.
P.s. With Pavtube HD Video Converter, you could avoid all these issues above while converting HD videos.
With advanced High-Definition (HD) video conversion technology, Pavtube HD Video Converter is expert at converting all the popular HD videos. It can easily convert HD video formats such as AVCHD (mts, m2ts), H.264/AVC, MKV, MPEG-2 (ts), DivX, HD WMV, MPEG-4 and Quick Time.
Key-features for converting HD videos:
- Convert HD videos in Full-HD 1080p (incl. HD AVI, HD H.264/AVC, AVCHD (.mts, .m2ts), HD Quick Time, HD MPEG-2 TS, HD MPEG-4 TS, HD WMV);
- Convert HD videos to different video formats (incl. AVI, MPEG, MP4, ASF, MOV, RMVB, WMV, DivX, XviD, 3GP, RM);
- There are advanced settings for conversion like video bit rate, frame rate, audio bit rate, channel, etc. to broaden output of the HD video conversion.;
- You can tweak the brightness, contrast and saturation of the video, crop/merge video clips, so as to get the video to project better on your device screen;
- Makes different videos playable on devices such as iPad2, iPod, iPhone, Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Tab, Playbook, Apple TV, PSP, PS3, Xbox & many others.
Simple Steps for converting AVCHD videos with Pavtube HD Video Converter:
1. Add M2TS(MTS) files.
2. Choose the output format you need.
3. Pressthe "Start" button.
I used VLC player to view the resulting video and was pretty impressed with both the video and sound quality. I was just using the default settings, and it would have looked even better if I had set it to the highest quality conversion setting.
Additionally, The videos converted from one type of compression into another type of compression, there will be a certain degree of mass loss. So when you convert the high-compression AVCHD video format to standard format, the final effect will be very poor. To get better results, The MP4 (MPEG-4) format with MP3 audio is recommended, another alternative is the AVI format with MP3 tracks. You can use "Advanced" option to set output parameters such as frame rate, bit rate or encoder for both audio and video.
Tags : AVCHD video converter freeware, Free to convert M2TS MTS video, AVCHD to AVI freeware, M2TS MTS to MP4 free
Pavtube HD Video Converter Want to Try or Buy for Only $35.00